Ralph and Billie Howard were long time residents of Lindale, Texas. Neither one of them were able to complete high school, but they were determined that each of their children would receive the training and education needed to become productive citizens. To encourage and support their five children Ralph and Billie:
- believed strongly in the necessity and importance of educational and specialized training,
- required each of their children to actively pursue and successfully complete the preparation programs required of their chosen professions/occupations,
- demonstrated by their lives and strong work ethic and belief in the dignity of work,
- held high expectations, and
- made many sacrifices to provide opportunities for their children.
Among the five Howard children there are seven college and university degrees and extensive technical and specialized training.